Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Loving Black Love


I truly believe in Black love. It's something that I think need to be protected and projected onto the world. I haven't been that big on love these days. But, that has more to do with my personal issues than the overall idea. This weekend, my love for love was restored in a HUGE way. My little cousin got married Saturday. Her wedding was a great display of true love. Everything about it was wonderful. The setting was the gorgeous Benachi House in New Orleans. It was first time being there and I am in love with it. The ceremony and reception were outside. I literally cried from the moment the happy couple started saying their vows. They have been together a while. I've always known how much they love each other. But, something about the act of getting married made it that much more real. They were glowing and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The groom even wrote a poem as his vows to his bride. They were amazing. I had the best time with them and the rest of our family. Love is great but there is something so incredible about Black love to me. 



What I have learned is that it's not about wanting him back because the reality is we can't ever go back. We are no longer those two people. There has been too much space and time and hurt between us to return. I do not know what the future holds but I know I cannot be bitter about a love lost. The reality is maybe what I thought was a forever love wasn't. Forever does not have an expiration date on it. Love is a beautiful thing. I want to be able to look back on the love I had with a smile. Because the love was amazing. I was changed by it. I loved who I was because of him and love. No one can take that away from me. My issue is with how it ended and the fact that I still do not have a comprehensive reasoning as to why it ended. I guess it will be one of those things I won't ever fully understand. I have given it to God because I cannot figure it out. What I do know is that my thoughts on love and marriage were restored this weekend by my cousin and her husband. I thought I would be sad and a bit envious at the wedding. I was dead wrong. I was so happy and tearful during the ceremony. True love really does conquer all. That is the thought I left with. I was full on love. I'm even open to the possibility of love again. However, I am still not ready to date just yet. I'm too busy loving me all over again. When the day comes, I'll know it. But, until then, I will continue to live vicariously through all of the Black love around me. Black love is e-very-thing!! Congrats again to my cousins!!



No comments:

Post a Comment