Sunday, February 02, 2014

An Ode to Black Girls in Red Lips



#Blackgirlsinredlipstick was a topic on Tumblr a while back. Until a few years ago, it was not a shade I purchased. I am just getting into red lippie's. I had to fight all those stigma's I've heard all my life about dark skin and red lips and that only loose women wear red lipstick. Red lipstick just never seemed like something a brown skinned girl such as myself should wear. Shaking all of this off, I decided to step out on faith. I am in the habit of putting on red lipstick just to clean the house. I wear it doing random things to make myself more comfortable with the idea. I take pictures of myself in red lipstick for the same reason. I just feel happier, lighter and more fierce when I have on red lipstick. It does something to my attitude and ego. I can't fully explain it, it's just a feeling.  



 It isn't about how others think I look in it or what they think about me. This is about me accepting myself in everything. So, if I want to wear a red lippie, then damn it I will. And, I will be fierce doing so because nothing is sexier than intelligence and confidence. I happen to possess both by the boat loads. Since I am a red lip novice, buying the right shade of red for a brown girl was a task. I spent at least 45 minutes in Target agonizing over two shades. I purchased two different shades from two different companies. One was a "Oh hell no" and I had to give it to my cousin who is two shades lighter than me. But, the second was a total win. It was the Kate Moss line by Rimmel. The shade has no name, just a number: 107. It is a berry red that compliments my skin tone. I desperately needed it for my brother's red and black color themed birthday party almost two years ago. Since then, I've worn it sporadically. 




 I'm getting more comfortable with shades of red adorning my lips. Just last night, I was hit with another red lippie dilemma. My cousin's all white bridal shower also called for everyone to wear red lipstick. I needed a new shade. I instantly knew that Revlon's Colorblast in Fire was a win. I loved that it was a lipstick and a gloss all in one. I loved it so much that I wore it again today. I am really digging the way it looks on me. It is very glossy which I am always looking for. This is how this Black girl learned to embrace a red lipstick for the greater good. Here's hoping you guys find your perfect shade as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment