Monday, February 10, 2014

"The College Dropout" Turns Ten




I am a music snob. I like what I like and there is nothing wrong for that. I also judge folks (slightly) on their music tastes. I love to hear music from new acts. Such was the case the first time I heard of Kanye West. The song was "Home" and I was sold.  I knew of Kanye by way of an old Chicago friend who passed me a cd with underground Ye tracks. I also started to hear about him producing for Jay. A decade ago, one of my favorite albums was released. "The College Dropout" became the soundtrack of my life in 2004. There was nothing I listened to more than this cd that year. It was so fresh and different and real. I loved everything about it. Kanye gained a new fan in me. I loved his voice and tone and lyrics. His production was top notch. Dude was just golden. I am very picky when it comes to what rappers I listen to and support. The number is small. Kanye did not have any problem making the cut. I would play the cd constantly. "Spaceship" is still one of my favorite songs ever. I remember the day like it was yesterday.



I also remember the first time I saw Kanye in concert. He was the opening act for Usher's "Confession" tour. I was more excited to see Ye than Usher. This was the rapper who I had been blasting for months. I stood up during Ye's whole set, rapped along to ever song. My cousin was amazed cause she barely knew who he was. She was there strictly for Usher. That was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. I've seen Ye every single time he's been to New Orleans, except for the Yeezus tour. Ten years ago, Kanye gained a fan in me. Now, I may not have loved his latest efforts but I am still a fan. The man is a musical genius. I love his producer side as much as his rapper side. "The College Dropout" will always be classic in my book. It was definitive in my life. I woke up to it and went to sleep to it. I cannot recall any other project that came out that year that I rocked with harder.  There was a hunger and about TCD era Ye. He is still dope. I am still a fan. "The College Dropout" turned ten today. Where did the time go?! Happy Birthday, "The College Dropout."




No comments:

Post a Comment