Wednesday, February 05, 2014

This Reader's Review: Part XX: Demetria L. Lucas "A Belle in Brooklyn"




I cannot recall how I first heard of Demetria L. Lucas. I didn't know her real name at that moment. She was just "A Belle in Brooklyn." She is a relationship expert, a blogger, journalist, an author and now a reality tv star on Bravo's "Blood, Sweat, and Heels." I've been following her for some time now on Twitter.  She gives great advice via her ask.fm page and she tweets interesting things daily. I feel like I know her and I like her. I've been wanting to read her debut novel "A Belle in Brooklyn:  The Go-to Girl For Advice on Living Your Best Single Life" for some time now. But, I have an enormous to be read list and stack. But, I was in the library last weekend and couldn't pass it up. I dived right into. From the opening paragraph, it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I could not put it down. I needed to know more about these men and the dating scene in New York. I finished it in a day and a half. 


I kinda live tweeted some of my favorite parts of the book. This book is one woman's dating journey. I love Lucas' take on men and dating. I love the way she paints the pictures. I felt like I knew all of the characters in her book. Her voice and tone are very distinct. I love an author that makes me feel like I am right in the center of their literary world. Lucas does this effortlessly. The setting of her book is mostly New York with trips to DC and L.A. The men are different and varied. She dispenses real life advice for single women  about men and dating. I learned a lot from reading this book. There was one paragraph that hit me like a ton of bricks. I've included it below. It was like a ton of bricks fell on my head. I was deeply invested in her dating tales, especially those involving Greg. "A Belle in Brooklyn" was an easy, fun read. I loved it. Lucas will be releasing her second book, "Don't Waste Your Pretty:The Go-to Guide for Making Smarter Decisions in Life & Love" this year. I cannot wait to read it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment