Wednesday, October 02, 2013

It's My Hair: 2 Years Strong!!


Started from the bottom, now I'm here. A year ago, I was excited to reach this milestone. A year later, I couldn't be happier with my hair's progression. It's been two interesting years on this natural hair journey. I started with just a thought, an inkling of an idea. I did not know what my hair would appear or the texture of it. In the beginning, I was just interested in stretching my relaxers. I was so used to that 6 - 8 week trek to the hair shop for the creamy crack. My hair wasn't unhealthy or breaking off prior to the change. I just wanted something different. I have always had a head full of thick hair. It's the gift and the curse. But, it's all mine and I love it. My natural hair journey has been relatively stress free. Except for earlier this year, I experienced some hair loss due to stress. 


So, for my two year natural hair anniversary, I wanted to try a new look. I was going for Naptural85's Seductive Tousled look. You can watch her tutorial video on her YouTube channel. I started with flat ironed hair from a prior blowout. I separated my hair into six sections. I sprayed each section with my water/glycerin mix lightly. I rubbed my shea butter/oils mix into my hair. I then twisted each section from the roots to the tips. Finally I wrapped the twists into bantu knots. I secured each knot a bobby pin. Very simple and easy to do. I lightly misted the water over my hair again. And, finally I sprayed my hair with some oil sheen and tied it down with my silk scarf. The next morning, I put a little grapeseed oil on my fingers and untwisted my hair. I shook my head and fluffed my hair with my fingers. I was ready for my day. I really liked my hair. The style lasted a few days. I retwisted and re-Bantu knotted my hair nightly. Great style for any natural hair woman. Two years went by with the blink of an eye. I am so excited to see what happens next for me and my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment