Tuesday, July 09, 2013

It's Here!! Jay Z's "Magna Carta Holy Grail"


If you've been reading this blog then you already know that I am a certified Jay Z fan. I've written about him numerous times. Like here, here, here or here just to link a few. Anytime he releases new music, I am always hyped for it. The release of his 13th solo cd "Magna Carta Holy Grail" was an unprecedented event. There was no first single. The first inkling we were given was a commercial announcement during the NBA Finals. It was released exclusively on the Samsung Galaxy 3/4 and Note via an MCHG app on July 4th. Before the release, lyrics were released on the app. So, fans knew the words to songs before ever hearing it. All of this was a part of Jay's new rules movement. The rollout was not without kinks. The app crashed moments after it went live. But, finally folks were able to get it. The cd was released today, July 9th. It was platinum before the release due to Samsung buying a million copies upfront and the RIAA changing its rules. 


"America tries to emasculate the greats
Murdered Malcolm
Gave Cassius the shakes.
Wait.
Tell em rumble young man rumble
Try to dim ya light 
Tell you to be humble." - Jay Z "FUTW"

So, this entire experience was different. I was listening to this project with new ears. I was hungry for some new Jay music. I sat quiet and alone and just heard the music. Some songs pulledme in for the beats first. But, as usual, most got me fot the lyrics. Jay has a dope keen ear for beats. MCHG is no different. Every beat is perfection. I really don't have to discuss his lyrics because that is his best attribute as a rapper. He knows exactly what to say and how to say it. That has not changed. He flows differently on a few songs. But, still manages to stay uniquely himself. Overall, I am def digging this. It's exactly what I wanted from my favorite rapper. I break down song-by-song how I feel below. One thing is glaringly apparent: Shawn Corey Carter is loving being a father to Blue Ivy. You can tell that her birth has changed him. MCHG is a grown up rap album. The children won't get it. And, that's quite ok. If you're an old fan, this is for you. If you are a new fan, this is for you. If you don't like Jay, then none of this matters. Get into Jay Z's new cd, "Magna Carta Holy Grail."

  • "Holy Grail" ft. Justin Timberlake - Opening track has JT singing for his life and killing it. I love everything about this. Lyrics, beat and production are married perfectly.
  • "Picasso Baby" - The line "lean on it Blue, you own" made me lol. Witty word play by the God MC, Hov is evident here. Dope track. 
  • "Tom Ford" - First, the bounce on this is STUPID! I can def see this being a club banger. Jay floats all over this. His flow is ridiculous hear. Also, loved hearing Bey singing greasy at the end of this track. 
  • "F*ckwithmeyouknowIgotit" ft. Rick Ross - I hate to admit how much I dig this track but only because I'm not a Ross fan. Besides that, it is flawless. 
  • "Oceans" ft Frank Ocean - One of my faves for the hook along. I love the subject matter and the collabo of Jay and Frank. 
  • "FUTW" - This is a contender for my favorite song on MCHG. I just really enjoy it. It's the song I replay the most. Classic Jay.
  • "Somewhereinamerica" - Jay raps the word twerk. Ratchet Mr. Carter, I can dig it. This got a lot of play on the 4th. 
  • "Crown" - I was instantly pulled into this song from the first second. Jay speaking about his life. The fact that this was produced by a 16 y/o Black girl makes me love it even more.
  • "Heaven" - The lyrics of this song are my favorite. The chorus is dope. Jay pours his heart out here. 

"Arm, leg, leg, arm, head - this is God body

Knowledge, wisdom, freedom, understanding - we just want our equality

Food, clothing, shelter - help a n***a find some peace
Happiness for a gangsta, ain't no love in the streets
Conspiracy theorist screaming Illuminati
They can't believe this much skill is in the human body
He's 6'2, how the fuck he fit in a new Bugatti?
Aw fuck it you got me
Question religion, question it all
Question existence until them questions are solved." (Jay Z "Heaven")
  • "Versus" - It's an interlude that could've, should've been a full song. Great beat. 
  • "Part II (On The Run)" ft. Beyonce' - The Carters on a track together will forever always be greatness. This is no different. Love their love. This is a follow up to "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" which is classic to me. 
  • "Beach Is Better" - Why isn't this a full song? Why? It's Jay bragging about his wife. "I brought sand to the beach because my beach is better." Love their love and collabos.
  • "BBC" ft. Beyonce', Pharrell, Nas, Swizz, Timbaland - My least favorite track. It's too many features. I HATE when Swizz talks all over a track. His voice annoys me. So it was an instant turn off. The actual lyrics and beat are cool though.
  • "Jay Z Blue" - This is the most vulnerable song on MCHG. It's Jay's ode to his daughter Blue Ivy. He speaks on his fears of not being a good dad. Love vulnerable Jay.
  • "La Familia" - This reminds me of "Hola Hovito" because of the Spanish connection. The chorus has been stuck in my head. And, I am not complaining about it. Dope track.
  • "Nickels and Dimes" - The ending of MCHG. It is fitting. And, deep. You just have to listen to it. Mr. Double Entendre. He is everything to me. 

"Ask Bun B about me
This ain't no snap back, a n***a's been trill
By the way, fuck your math
You ain't gotta count it my n***a I can add."
- Jay Z "Somewhereinamerica"






No comments:

Post a Comment