Thursday, July 04, 2013

Get Into It: "Being Mary Jane"



BET is bringing new programming to the screen. The latest show is "Being Mary Jane" starring Gabrielle Union, Omari Hardwick, and Raven Goodwin. It premiered as a movie earlier this week. It will be back as a series in January 2014. Mary Jane Paul is a successful woman, a TV anchor, and the bank for her family. She has it all but not really. She has a gorgeous house, a reat career and a loving family. What she is missing is a love of her own and a family of her own. She has a sick mother, a brother with no ambition but a huge family, a brother attending college and a niece who keeps popping out babies. Everyone depends on her, especially finacially. MJ is a woman on the verge of breaking. I can see it. 



The character of MJ is relatable on so many levels. I know for a fact that a lot of my friends identify with her. And, it has more to do with her being Black. She, like Kerry Washington's Olivia Pope, is a flawed character. I love that the most about her. I can admit that I did not have high hopes for the show. I am admittedly not a fan of Gabrielle Union.  She has been a very limited actress in the past. I put her in the same category as Janet. Neither of them show any emotion or range in their face when acting. So, I pushed that to the side and jumped into the show. 20 minutes into, I was hooked. The movie was really good. I was happy to see the handsomeness that is Omari Hardwick. I am a fan of his. So, the possibility of seeing him on my screen weekly is enough for me to tune in. The ending left me wanting more which was the point. The series will be picking up where the movie left off. I cannot wait to see where this story goes. Get into it, "Being Mary Jane."

No comments:

Post a Comment