Thursday, July 11, 2013

It's My Hair: 21 Months Strong


It's been a little over 21 monthe since I began my natural hair journey. I have learned that less does indeed equal more when it comes to product in my hair. I've been trying some new things lately. Simplifying my regiment. Decided to go from a braid out to bone straight and then a bun this week. The first picture shows the 3 different hairstyles that I had.  In the below picture are my three staples. One spray bottle of homemade leave in conditioner (water, conditioner, sunflower oil and evoo), Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, and another spray bottle of water and glycerin. This entire process started with me pre-pooing my hair with the Body Shop Rainforest conditioner and oil. I followed it up with my leave-in conditioner. My hair was braided after that. 





Fast forward 5 days, I sprayed my braid out with the water/glycerin "green" spray bottle first. Then I sprayed the leave in conditioner in "blue" bottle. I let my hair air dry for a few hours. After it was about 85% dry, I started on the daunting task of flatironing my hair. I haven't done it in so long because it is a job. My hair is very thick. I actually hate doing it. But, I wanted a different look. It was my first time using the Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Flat Iron Protector Straightening Mist. I was optmistic. The scent was light and fruity. I liked the way my hair felt afterwards. Some, heat protectors make your hair feel sticky. This one did not. It took me a little over an hour and a half to finish. I was completely worn out once I was done. I was left with a head full of straightened hair. But, I live in southern Louisiana and the summertime heat is no joke. So, I decided to pull it back into a bun with a little Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. 



 Finally over 2 hours later, I was done. I am satisfied with my results of all the new products I used to achieve this sleek and oulled together look. I had a moment last week where I wanted to cut all my hair off. I was frustrated with a few things. That would have been a rash decision and those are never good. I'm glad I didn't let my emotions make a decision I surely would've regretted. I've been stressed and my hair shows it. My hair was doing more shedding than normal because of this. I think that's over now. A hot oil treatment and a little dusting took care of it. Oh and prayer. A lot of it. I do love my hair. I haven't been able to say that in a long time. Naturally me so I cannot complain. No natural hair woes this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment