Friday, July 19, 2013

Movie/TV Review: "Love, Marilyn," "Man of Steel," & "The Newsroom"


This weekend was an emotional one with the verdict coming down. So, I had to find a way to get out of my feelings. I did that in two ways: a peaceful rally and movies. The first documentary I watched was "Love, Marilyn." I can honestly say that I did not know much about her. And, my opinion of her was very low because of the whole sleeping with the married John F. Kennedy and his brother, Robert Kennedy. Someone mentioned it on Twitter. I learned so much about this woman. I am glad that I did. I learned so much about this woman. She wasn't who she portrayed herself to be. She wasn't the dumb blonde I thought she was. It was very interesting that they touched on all of her love affairs except the Kennedy ones. I do believe that she didn't just die. I think she was killed. Anywho, if you're a Marilyn fan or not, this was a very informative documentary. I truly enjoyed it. 



Next, I was dragged to go see the new Superman film, "Man of Steel." I wasn't that hyped to see it because I haven't been a Superman fan since the days of Christopher Reeves/Dean Cain. But, I went anyway. It was a pretty good movie. I think it was too long though. Especially the fight scene. That could have definitely been cut down. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I don't give away spoilers but I really loved the ending. Also, I've just read that there is already a Superman 2 in the works. And, that Batman will be a part of it as well. That sounds super interesting. I would probably go see that film. If you're a fan, you'll dig this one. 




I have been hearing about the HBO show "The Newsroom" for a while now. I just never took the time to get into it. That was the case until last weekend. I started watching season 1 via On Demand. I went into it with an open mind. By the middle of the first episode, I was hooked. The show is based on a CNN anchor type called Will McAvoy. He is the best and worst character ever. I love and hate him just about the same. I love the fact that the show is about actual journalism. It's a behind the scenes look at what goes on in a newsroom. The cast is great as well as the writing on this show. I love Maggie and M and Sloan and Charlie. I finished the whole first season in a week's time. The second season just started last Sunday. The first episode of the second season was amazing. It was unexpected but still great. I do not know where this season will go but I am all the way here for it. If you love CNN and MSNBC shows, you will love this show. You should just def get into it. It's worth it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment