Saturday, April 16, 2011

Let The Art Cover My Body

My body is a journal in a way. It's like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist. ---- Johnny Depp

Tattoos. Body Art. Whatever you call it, I love them. I have been infatuated with tattoos since I was in high school. I am a huge fan of huge back pieces...on other folks. I just believe that, when done right, tattoos can be so artistic and lovely. I am a huge fan of the arts in all forms. Tattoos, to me, are artful pieces. I find them interesting and love knowing the story behind them. It literally fascinates me.



I got my first tattoo at 18 years old in my second semester of my freshman year of Undergrad. A tattoo artist named Earth did it. He worked at the House of Pain. Great name right? I remember that the receptionist answered the phone, "House of Pain, how can we hurt you?" It was a random Friday night in February. We (my friends Shay and Quin) were bored. So we decided that we wanted tattoos. My first tattoo is on my back, kinda off centered, and close to my spine. It is a heart (one of my favorite things still) with a music note going through it. I loved it because I felt it represented me and my intense love of everything musical. It hurt at first. But, the conversation and my excitement overshadowed my pain. I loved it. I was so glad to have my first tattoo.



I acquired my second tattoo less than two months later. I was clearly becoming an addict. It was done at another tattoo shop in Lafayette on a whim. Ironically, Earth was my tattoo artist again. He and I became fast friends. T time I wanted something dainty and uber girly. I chose a rose, in blue on my right ankle. This tattoo hurt like hell because it is directly on a bone. But, I loved it any way. I was done in all of 20 minutes. I love this tattoo even more now. It actually looks more like a black rose from the immediate exposure to the sun and color fading. It is 13 years old now.



After that, I chilled on my tattoo habit. I did not get another for 7 years. My final (as of now) tattoo is on the same of my back. It is two Japanese symbols that translate into "Loyalty is beautiful." This tattoo hurt like hell. It was the worst pain ever. I was not prepared at all for this. I'm sure this is why I haven't gotten another tattoo yet. This was 8 years ago. I do want one or two more pieces. Very small ones though. I would love something on the inside of my left wrist. I do not know where else I would want one. I just love them. Tattoos are not for everyone. I don't judge people for having them or not. I just know what I like and what makes me smile. Tattoos happen to fall into that category.

*Disclaimer: All of my tattoo pictures are old.*

No comments:

Post a Comment