Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jesus and bunnies?!?


Today is Easter. The day that Jesus rose from the dead. Three days after he was crucified for our sins. It is Resurrection Sunday. What does that have to do with bunnies, candy & eggs? I've wondered this for years. They don't seem to have anything in common.

After a quick Google search, I found some answers. The introduction of bunnies and eggs came by way of a Stan tradition. Those symbols are linked to a goddess of fertility. Fertility is also linked to the spring. The candy was added later on as the holiday day became more commercialized. Somewhere along the way, the real and true meaning of the resurrection of Jesus became misconstrued.

To me, these things make the holiday very light and fun. And, I guess that is fine for kids. But, along with the fun, we cannot forget that message and meaning of the enormity of what Jesus did for us. He died for our sins. We live because he died and rose again. I'm not a super religious woman. But I am a spiritual being. These are just my thoughts on a day like today. We have to remember all that we won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment