Friday, April 26, 2013

Movie Review: "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

I can admit that I was championing the star of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" little Ms. Quvenzhane' Wallis without watching the movie. But, I felt that a 9 year little Black girl deserved to be championed. I finally sat down to watch her debut film. I was intrigued by it because it was filmed in my home state. Although the area is unfamiliar to me, I just wanted to know more. The movie was so good. Better than I thought it would be. I loved it. This film is based on the very unique relationship between the father Wink and his daughter Hushpuppy. They are very poor financially but rich in family and love. The town they live in is called "Bathtub" and it boasts a population of 87. IT seems to be a place where everyone knows everyone else. The film opens with Hushpuppy talking to the audience, telling her story. My favorite line has to be one that Hushpupy states twice in the film:
"I'm recording my story for the scientists in the future. In a million years, when kids go to school, they gonna know: once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in The Bathtub."
 My favorite scene in the movie.

Throughout most of the film, Wink is very hard on Hushpuppy. She has no mother and only has him. She is very smart and resilient for a six year old kid. They weather a huge storm and a quarantine. She is very scrappy. She lives in a "house" across from Wink's house. I did not understand that. She cooks for herself. She gets herself up and off to school.  She spends almost all of the film with wild hair and dirty clothes. The ending made me cry. I didn't expect that. It was a really great film though. I would recommend it to everyone. After watching it, I still believe that little miss Quvenzhane' Wallis was robbed of her Oscar. She was amazing in this film. She was only five years old when this was filmed. She is not a trained actress but she showed so much strength in her acting. She has amazing control over her facial expressions and emotions. I cannot wait to see what else she will do. "Beasts of the Southern Wild" gets an A+ from me. It is definitely a must see. 
Hush Puppy and her Daddy, Wink in the Bathtub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment