Friday, February 11, 2011

What About Your Friends?

Cliques. Groups. Crews. Your friends. I have been thinking a lot about the people I surround myself with. I read this quote "You’re the average of the five people you spend the most time with” by Jim Rohn. There is nothing better than the people you chose to live your life around. To me, my friends are the family I handpicked. That makes them even more special to me.

In high school, my friends and I were known as the Kandi Krewe. It was me and six of the best friends a girl could ever ask for. We've known each other for years. Three of them are my cousins. These were the girls who would eventually grown into the women who will always have my back. Some I talk to every day. Others, every once in a while. There will never be any other women who could replace these women in my life. They were there through all the good times and bad, all the crazy moments and growing pains. These are my friends.

In college, I met another great group of girls. We were known as 7 Deep. We were all from New Orleans and all loved that beat. We had the best time in undergrad. From really serious to the really silly, all of it was worth the ride. They helped me through the crazy years. All the talks about boys and relationships and classes and life will never be forgotten. The long nights of Oreo cakes and Strawberry Boone's farm in a room with the red light one while listening to music, discussing whatever, waiting on phone calls are classic. That city and school were not ready for that many like minded women to become friends. We were it!

The women who I call my friends have helped me grow into the woman that I am. They have been the backbone to a lot of things in my life. They are the folks who I can call on at any given day. I am thankful for them and having them in my life. We are all made better by the fact that we have each other. I wouldn't trade any of them for anything in the world. Friends are a special part of life. To have a friend, you have to learn how to be a friend. It's just that simple.


2 comments:

  1. I like this post - it's got me thinking about who I spend the most time with and you know... I am really proud to say I stay surrounded by positive, professional, progressive, and passionate young women (4) and one beautiful complex as ever, man. // I like how you reflected on your crews from back in the day. The evolution of friendship is interesting. It has been for me, I don't know if it is the same for you - that as I graduate phases of my life primary school, secondary school, college) I graduate friends. I wish I could say I am cool with someone from my child-childhood but I am not. My besties from then and I have outgrown each other due to time and space. It's sad but not regretted. The great thing I suppose, is that now I that am I older and at home, becoming who I am becoming, I know the 4 ladies I mentioned above are for lifetime. We are growing together and up together...Good stuff. And great quote at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ MC - Thanks girl. I am grateful that my childhood friends are still my friends. Yes, the friendships have changed but the foundation is still the same. I have made other friends who still play a role in my life. I have a few male friends who fit this bill as well. But, I just felt like highlighting the women in my life. There is so much negativity between Black women played out online and on tv. I needed to combat that in my own way!

    ReplyDelete