Thursday, February 24, 2011

Forgive and Forget


That is the question. How do we forgive and forget? Forgiveness. It's an 11 letter word that means so much. It is defined as being "disposition or willingness to forgive." The act of forgiving is huge. But, forgiving is not about the person who hurt, harmed, or wronged you. Forgiving is about you. To be able to forgive is an enormous feat. It takes a lot out of a person to forgive. But forgiveness is one of the best gifts one can give to themselves. Forgiveness is a not a right but a must.

Forgiveness is a long, twisty, and winding road. I know this from experience. But, on day, I had an epiphany. I released that holding onto that hurt was eating away at me. The person who hurt me had moved on. They were over it. Where did that leave me and my hurt feelings? No where. Exactly. That day, I decided to no longer hold grudges. It makes no sense. Why hold on to the pain? I just let go. It was the best feeling in the world to know that I was in charge of how I would feel. This was

I think we all forget that forgiveness is not about the person who wronged you. Forgiveness is for yourself. It takes up so much emotional energy to hold onto that anger. It eats you up inside. Holding grudges isn't healthy at all. We all get so caught up in focusing on what a person has done to us. I have forgiven those who hurt me. I forgave them for my own sanity. Forgive them for yourself. It's the only way to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment