Monday, December 29, 2014

My Movie Review: "Top Five"



Chris Rock's movie "Top Five" is easily one of my favorites from this year. I laughed from the opening until the closing credits. Chris Rock plays Andre Allen a once very hot comedian/actor who had it all and lost it all. He is on a comeback promo tour for his new serious movie. Because he is a comedian, no one wants to take him seriously. Coupled with the fact that he is embroiled in this high powered engagement with a reality tv star, it seems like Allen cannot win. Enter a New York Times critic to shake things up via a profile. I love the journey this movie takes us on. You get to see the highs and lows of celebrity. Chris Rock did a great job weaving this tale. I like that Allen is loosely based on himself but there is enough difference between the two to not get clouded by it. It is absolutely wonderful to see Rock in a role like this. I believe the world has been missing his brand of comedy.



I loved that this movie starred some of the dopest comedians. Cedric the Entertainer, Tracy Morgan, Kevin Hart, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Pharoah, Leslie Jones, Adam Sandler, JB Smoove as well as Hassan Johnson (wee Bey Brice from "The Wire") Rosario Dawson, and Gabrielle Union. Everyone was great in this movie. But, I have to give all the props for surprise cameos to DMX. His scene was hilarious and unexpected. It was my single favorite standout moment in the film. This was the definition of a romantic comedy. I enjoyed it. I cannot wait for it to come out on dvd because I will be purchasing it. It's a must see movie in my opinion. Get into "Top Five."





No comments:

Post a Comment