Sunday, March 16, 2014

Movie Review: "Veronica Mars"



Seven years ago one of my favorite shows "Veronica Mars" was cancelled. I was heartbroken. I loved the main character Veronica for many reasons. She was smart, funny, and sarcastic. These were all traits I saw in myself then and now. Veronica Mars is played by Kristen Bell. The show was based on a teenage girl who's best friend was violently murdered. Veronica is the daughter of Keith Mars, one time Sheriff of small town Neptune, California. After he is ousted as Sheriff, he becomes a P.I. Veronica works for her Dad as a secretary who picks up a lot of tools of the trade. In short, she becomes a teenage P.I. Through three seasons, Veronica works her way through high school and the beginning of college solving crimes. She was, to me, a modern day, Nancy Drew. And, as a kid, I was a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys fanatic.



The movie was everything I wanted it to be and more. The movie is centered on a high school friend's murder. And, as per the usual, Logan Echols is the main suspect. This brings Veronica back home just in time for her ten year high school reunion. So many old faces pop up throughout the film. Wallace, Mac, Gia, Dick, Piz, and Weevil all resume their roles. The movie is just under 2 hours. I laughed from the opening scene to the last one. There are some new big names attached to the film like Justin Long, Dax Shepard, James Franco, and Jerry O'Connell. The movie is really great for fans like me. There is a possibility of a second movie or even a series via Netflix. If you were a fan, you have to go see this movie. Veronica was the same but different. You can tell the growth in the characters. The script did a great job of staying true to the essence of the show. That made me too happy. I left the movies very excited to see it again. One of the final scenes is a repeat of a scene from the show. I loved the nostalgic feel of it. Get into it: "Veronica Mars" movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment