Tuesday, March 25, 2014

This Reader's Review: Part XXIII: "Divergent" Trilogy


I spent my weekend reading the "Divergent" trilogy. I was interested in it because the "Divergent" movie just opened in theaters.  The movie trailers peeked my interest. Also, Zoe Kravitz is in the movie and I really like her. The trilogy is set in futuristic Chicago. People are split up into 5 factions based on their talents. The 5 factions are Dauntless, Erudite, Abnegation, Candor, and Amity. The main character is Beatrice "Tris" Prior, a 16 year old Abnegation girl. The trilogy is built around Tris and her choices. She is a very interesting character. Other notable characters are Tobias (Four), Christina, Caleb, Will, Uriah, Marcus, Evelyn and Peter. Each interesting in their own right.  I love the way she grows from her first scene and her last scene. I finished the trilogy in 2 1/2 days. But, I do read incredible fast.   



I wanted to like the Divergent series. I had high hopes. They did not live up to itThey trilogy is well written and the story flows quite well. But, there is a disconnect somewhere along the lines. I just wasn't that into it. I liked some of the characters but towards the middle of the second book, I started to figure out what was really going on and I didn't like it. I hated the ending of "Allegiant" completely. The movies may be better but I no longer feel the need to rush out and see them. Maybe I am not the intended audience. I read all three because I like to finish what I start. I doubt seriously that I will ever read them again. I just felt unfulfilled once I was done. That is never a good feeling after reading a book.  I read a lot. It's my favorite thing in the world. This was an interesting way to spend a weekend. I wasn't overwhelmed by the plot of the series. I wanted so much more from a dystopian novel. It wants to be "the Hunger Games" but it fails. If you are curious about this trilogy, I say check it out for yourself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment