Sunday, January 12, 2014

Who Lied To You?

"Who told you that lie? Who lied to you?" - Demetria Lucas, "Blood, Sweat, and Heels"


Why is it so easy to believe the bad things people tell us about ourselves? Why do we focus on the negative? Life is entirely too short to sit and wonder about all the evil in the world. I can say "I don't care what others think of me" until I'm blue in the face  but the reality is that it's not true. There are a handful of people's opinion that I do care about. I don't ever want them to see me a certain way. Their words carry weight. And, if those words just happen to be negative, they can cut me deep. But, I've learned that my opinion of myself is what matters to me. You can have an opinion of me, good or bad, but it really doesn't rate. I know who I am. I know what I like and love. I know even more what I won't take anymore. 




It is so easy to get caught up in what the world thinks or feels. But, the only opinion belongs to the person staring you back in the mirror. I may not be right all the time. But, as long as I can face myself then I am just fine. It took me a long time to totally love all parts of me. I will not, cannot let anyone else take that from me. If a person is in my life, they have to add to the love I already possess. If not, they have to go. Introspection is an interesting habit. I am my own hardest critic but I am also my own greatest cheerleader. It is so easy to get caught up in the hype of what others think and say about you. It is just as easy to silence that noise. If you are not adding positives in my life then you cannot stay. That goes for any and every one. There are no exclusions. This year, I will not accept the pickle juice from anyone. Which basically means I will not just willingly accept whatever is sat in front of me. Nah, homie, not me, not anymore. This means some won't make the cut. I'm ok with that because it's best for my peace of mind. I believe in me and that matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment