Sunday, January 19, 2014

Movie Review: Let's Talk Movies




For the last month or so, I have been enjoying the movies again. In part because of a site called GoFoBo, which basically sends me free passes to advance screenings. I've seen a lot of really good movies via this site. You guys should check it out. So, let me tell you about these four movies that I really enjoyed. First up, is the Kevin Hart/Michael Ealy remake of "About Last Night." It doesn't premiere until Valentine's Day. I t also stars Regina Hall (who I love) and Joy Bryant. Of course, it is hilarious. I mean, Kevin and Regina make this a no brainer. The two of them are ridiculously and effortlessly funny. The storyline is cute and interesting. I liked the take on relationships from both genders. It is always refreshing to hear a man's point of view. I really enjoyed this movie. I cannot wait to see it again. 



I finally made my way to the theater late last month to see the new Mandela movie. I've been excited about seeing Idris Elba's new film "Mandela A Long Walk To Freedom" since this summer. I knew some things about Nelson Mandela before watching it. I learned a lot more from it. Idris was phenomenal in this role. I forgot that he was the man I've lusted after since season one of "The Wire" and got lost in the character he was portraying. Naomie Harris was incredible as Winnie Mandela as well. I loved everything about this movie. I was upset that neither lead actor was nominated for an Oscar. I think that is a grave injustice for the work they did. Great story that needed to be told. Also, not for nothing, I watched the other Mandela movie "Winnie" that starred Terrence Howard and Jennifer Hudson in the title roles. Compared to Elba and Harris, Howard and Hudson failed miserably. Their movie just wasn't as good. It wasn't as well acted, filmed well or anything. "Mandela A Long Walk TO Freedom" is an amazing body of work that I recommend to everyone. 






"12 Years a Slave" was the movie I had to mentally prepare myself to watch. I am not one to subject myself to certain things. I don't like to watch slavery movies because it wasn't that long ago that people who looked like me and who were related to me were slaves. It messes with me on a level that I cannot fully explain. But, I powered on. "12 Years A S;ave" is the amazing story of Solomon Northup, a freed man who was tricked and sold into slavery. This movie is so deep and good. Chiwetel Ejiofor portrays Solomon. He is extraordinary in this film. The scene stealer is the newbie Lupita N'yogo. She is everything. Her face evokes so much emotion every single time she graces the screen. This movie, while hard to watch, was necessary. It is an in-depth look into a practice that I knew nothing of. I cannot wait to get it on dvd. Must see movie!



And, last but definitely not least, is the Ice Cube/Kevin Hart cop comedy "Ride Along." I just saw it yesterday and I laughed the entire movie. It also stars Laurence Fishburne, Tika Sumpter, John Leguizamo, and Gary Owens. This movie follows the classic buddy cop formula: good cop, silly cop, comedy ensues. Hart is slowly becoming one of my favorite comedic actors. Dude is insanely funny. Ice Cube can play just about any role and do it well. This movie was better than I thought it would be. I already read that a second part has been greenlit by the studios. There is a lot of comedy and hijinks in this film. And, also a lot of action as well. Another winner in my book. Good movies always make me happy. You guys should check all of them out if you haven't already. Get into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment