Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Trayvon Martin, A Year After His Murder



There is a name I'm sure none of us will ever forget. That name is Trayvon Martin. It's been a year since he was murdered in cold blood by George Zimmerman. A year since Sybrina Fulton & Tracy Martin lost their barely 17 year old son. A year since Jahvaris Fulton lost his brother. Trayvon missed his 18th birthday, his high school graduation, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And for what? There is no reason that he isn't here. Other than the fact a trigger happy, racist, wannabe cop decided that his life wasn't worth anything. There have been marches for justice and photos of people in hoodies to show support. I have been keeping up with this story because I'm concerned.

I'm still pissed about the way this case was fumbled in the beginning. Zimmerman was a free man for far too long. The "Stand Your Ground" trial is set for April. If the SYG law is upheld, Zimmerman will walk away. The trial for second degree murder is set for June. This murder matters to me for so many reasons. I lost my Father, my favorite Uncle and cousin Larry to gun violence. It took years to get justice for 2 of the 3 of them. My Father's murderer is still free.



Death is hard to handle. Murder is a whole other monster. Murder snatches life away. Usually for no reason and with no warning. Murder fractures families. Unsolved murders leave a pain behind that nothing can console. I know because I've lived it. The Fulton's and the Martin's are living through it. One year later, we still remember Trayvon. I'm still praying for justice. We'll never forget him.

No comments:

Post a Comment