Saturday, February 23, 2013

Concert Connoisseur



It's no secret that music is my thing. I LOVE it. The one thing I love more than music is LIVE music. Concerts are the absolute best thing. I have been to more concerts than I can count. Starting with my first when I was 9. From that moment on, I've been hooked. The really great thing about living in New Orleans is that there is always a concert happening here. I was just thinking about my concert experiences and decided to share. Here are my top eight lifetime concerts.



08) Alicia Keys/Ne-yo - This was a few years ago. I think it was in 2009. Both put on great shows. AKeys played the piano and sang like an angel. Ne-yo was amazing. He was my favorite part of the night. It was my first time seeing him, second time seeing her. Both made me happy.

07) Hot Boyz - The year was 1998. Cash Money was just about to blow up. We got to see them in concert at a club for $5. I was a huge fan. My friends and I sat on the speakers on the side of the stage. We had great seats. The concert was so energetic. They did all my faves. B.G. sat next to me and rapped "Living Legend" which at the time was my favorite B.G. song. Turk and Wayne clowned with us all night. Juvie had us singing back up for him. It was just a fun concert.

06)Patti LaBelle/Maze featuring Frankie Beverly @ Essence Music Festival - Two classic acts that know how to give a show. It was after 2 before it was over. But, no one was sitting down or aware of the time. They had the Dome rocking for hours. I sang every song that night. We had the best time.



05)Lyfe Jennings @ the HOB - One of the realest, rawest performances ever. When his first cd was released, I was his biggest fan. I played his debut out. I was so excited to go to this concert. It was everything I knew it would be. Also, even better, I got to meet him afterwards. He was so cool. He signed autographs and took pictures.

04) Lauryn Hill @ Essence Music Festival - This was right after "The Miseducation" dropped and she couldn't have been hotter. Lauryn was freaking amazing. She sang all of her tracks, some Fugee tracks and did some covers. She also played some classic N.O. tracks. She had a DJ battle. She had the entire Dome up on their feet. She was so good. That's why it saddens me to hear all the talk about her performances now. She doesn't sound the same.

03) Jill Scott/Trey Songz/Kanye West @ Essence Music Festival - Every last one of them gave a great performance. This night was perfect. Trey started it off. It was my first time seeing him. He was awesome. Jill is perfection. Every time I see her, she just makes me so happy. And, then there was Ye. I hadn't seen him in concert since 2004. His stage show is worlds better now. He gave the best performance of the night.



02)Jay-Z and Kanye West's "Watch The Throne" Tour - There are not enough words for me to describe how amazing this show was. Of course, these two rappers put on a hell of a performance. The stage was great as was the light show. I loved every minute of it. It was my second time seeing Ye that year. I've seen both rappers about 4/5 a piece. It always gets better.

01) New Edition - First concert and actually the last concert I've attended. They were amazing then and still are now. They are still my favorite group. They still sound amazing. As long as they are touring, I am attending. They are still just that great. I will never forget that first concert. I played their music constantly. "Candy Girl" is still one of my favorite albums. Every track. The group is 30 years old. I have truly grown up with them. Their music is timeless. Their voices are effortless. They made me love music and concerts the way that I do.

I haven't attended a concert in almost a year (!) Yes, I am as shocked as you are. I am sure I will be at Essence this year because Beyonce' is performing. I haven't seen her by herself ever. And, I need to rectify that. Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake are going on tour too. They aren't coming here but I would travel for that one. There is just something about live music. Nothing can touch it. It is a wonderful event that every one should experience once in their lifetime. Get into music concerts people. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment