Sunday, October 12, 2014

Movie Review: "Addicted"



Zane's "Addicted" has been one of my favorite guilty pleasures for years. It's the first book by her that I read. It made me an instant fan. So, the moment I heard that it was being made into a film, I was happy. I knew that I would have to see it. "Addicted" opened on Friday, October 19th. I was front and center early Saturday morning to see it. It stars Sharon Leal, Boris Kodjoe, William Levy, Tyson Beckford and Tasha Smith. All play central characters in this movie. Billie Woodruff is the director. I've always loved his work. From the opening scene to the last frame, I was enthralled. I really enjoyed the plot, the actors and the movie overall.




The actors were all attractive and kept my eyes glues to the screen. The plot varies in many places from the book. As a reader, I always have to temper my expectations when it comes to films based on books. I knew there was no way to get all the info into a movie. But, I think they skipped some crucial things. In the movie, Zoe isn't as loose as she is in the book. Quinton isn't as crazy or violent in the movie as he is in the book. The actions of a lot of the characters are very scaled back in the movie. I think that was a misstep. The sex scenes are beautifully done and shot really well. None of them are crass are tacky. I loved seeing Black people on the big screen being sexy and sensual and erotic. For that alone, the movie is a win to me. I enjoyed it. I would love to see a few of Zane's other books make it to the big screen as well, especially "Nervous." I recommend this movie as a must see. Get into it!





No comments:

Post a Comment