Saturday, July 23, 2011

Love Is A Losing Game: Gone Too Soon



Amy Winehouse is dead. She was only 27. I am saddened to read that this morning. I was a fan. Her voice was so soulful and full of pain. Her lyrics always spoke to me. I remember the first time I heard a song by her. It was "Fuck Me Pumps" off her first cd "Frank." I was hooked from that point on. "Frank" was a cd that wasn't released internationally but it made me a fan. Amy's voice gave me chills. "Stronger Than Me," "You Sent Me Flying," and "I Heard Love Is Blind" were some of my favorite tracks on her debut cd. I also really loved her rendition of "Moody's Mood For Love." Amy was a star in my eyes. As a musichead, I was beyond impressed with her.

When she finally broke into the US market with her smash hit "Rehab" I had huge expectations for her. "Back To Black" was everywhere and it seemed like Amy was on her way. "Back To Black" was full of those emo-type songs that Amy was good for. My favorite is still "Love Is A Losing Game." Then, came the reports of her addiction. It was hard to watch her fall deeper into it. I was still holding out hope for her triumphant return and new material. But, it seems that wasn't meant to be. Amy's addiction had a tighter hold on her than any of us could see.

Truth be told, Amy Winehouse killed Amy Winehouse. The world just watched her do it. Her first hit "Rehab" was a blatant slap in the face to people who tried to help her. Instead, we celebrated it. We listened to it on the radio. Her addiction was on display as she won five Grammys for BTB. She sold millions of records. The record company put millions of dollars in the hands of a known addict. Amy never had a chance. And, now her story is over. Dead at the age of 27 and clearly taken too soon. I will miss who she was and what she could've been. Here are some of my favorite Amy Winehouse tracks.














No comments:

Post a Comment