Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Reduction Debate

To reduce or not to reduce. That is the question. Since I was about 20 years old, I have been going back and forth on the idea of a breast reduction. Not because I think that they are too big. But, I have always had issues with my shoulders and back. I was super serious about the surgery in summer 2005. I had a consultation with a surgeon and had a date set for the procedure. Then, a little hurricane by the name of Katrina came along and changed all my plans. The surgery wasn't important any more.

The older I get, the more I am leaning away from the surgery. Besides the fact that I absolutely hate hospitals. The idea of being put under local anesthesia freaks me out. I do not like pain, I avoid it at all times. So, the recovery from this surgery would not be something I would be looking forward to. The more thought that I've put into this decision, the more I am seeing things differently. I think the main deciding factor is the fact that having this surgery could hamper my chances of breast-feeding when I have kids. I know that when I have kids, I will be breastfeeding. And, to have this surgery could wipe that option out. That's enough for me to not entertain the thought any more.

It's funny how much one's opinion on a subject can change with age. At 20, I was not thinking about kids or my future past school. At 31, these things are always on my mind. I am now quite used to the pain associated with being heavily endowed. So for now, I'll just continue buying better bras until the day I'm blessed with a baby. My Mother has said for years that my breasts will shrink when I have kids. Apparently it's a family trait. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment