Saturday, November 16, 2013

Movie Review: "The Best Man Holiday"


Before I begin, this is not a review that includes spoilers. Why would I want to ruin such a dope film? "The Best Man Holiday" is the long awaited sequel to the classic "The Best Man." It took 14 long years for fans of the film to get a sequel. I am of the mind that all movies/books do not necessarily need a follow up. But, in this case, I was all for it. The characters in both films felt familiar. I have watched "The Best Man" more times than I can count. I know most of the movie word for word, line by line. It was and still is that good. Because I was such a fan of the first, I have been super excited about "The Best Man Holiday" for a while now. Via Twitter, I have been hearing such great sparkling reviews of the movie. I simply could not wait to see it for myself. I waited until the second day to see it. The theater was packed. It was a predominantly Black audience. I was ready for greatness to grace the screen.


Anything good in life evokes an emotional reaction. There were times that I was laughing during this film. Other times when I was surprised. I cried more than once. I left the theater feeling lighter. It was simply a brilliant film. From the words to the characters to the scenery, everything was just right. Malcolm D. Lee, the producer behind both films, got it incredibly right. The cast, which includes Nia Long, Taye Diggs, Sanaa Lathan, Morris Chestnut, Regina Hall, Harold Perrineau, Terrence Howard, Monica Calhoun, and Melissa De Sousa, look incredible. I dare to say that they look better now in their 40's than they did before. It is true what they say, "Black don't crack!!" With a cast as beautiful as this one and the chemistry they share resonating through the screen, how could it fail? It simply could not. I can honestly say I truly enjoyed this film. So much so that I may even go see it again tomorrow. (Yes, it was that good to me). Also, I absolutely LOVED everything about Mia and Lance's house. It was decorated in my specific taste. Very classic and clean and understated. I loved their bedroom the most. The gifs below are hands down one of my favorite scenes in "The Best Man Holiday" when the guys do New Edition's "Can You Stand The Rain" for the talent show. It is not often that a sequel is as good as the first. This time, I believe the sequel eclipses the original. This is a dope film that everyone can relate to. Go see it for yourselves and let's discuss. Get into "The Best Man Holiday" this weekend. 




No comments:

Post a Comment