Friday, July 30, 2010

"You're the perfect verse over a tight beat."


"Brown Sugar" has to be one of my favorite movies hands down. I love it all...the musical aspect, the relationships, the comedy all resonate deep within me. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I still feel the exact same way about the movie, the storyline, the characters that I did the first night. "Brown Sugar" is the perfect quintessential Black romantic comedy. The Hollywood brass got it so right on this one.

The title of this post is my favorite line in the whole movie. Followed closely by one of the last lines in the movie: "Sid, you're my air!" *insert pic of me swooning* Lol. The poet in me loves the musical analogy of Dre comparing a woman he loves to the music that he loves. It's quite possible the highest compliment one can receive if you're engrossed into music. This one line, those eight words, literally made me gasp. It was perfectly written and greatly executed. It was Dre telling Sidney that he loved her in his own secret way. I love that. This one line always gets a tear or two out of me. What can I say, I'm apparently a romantic. I live for the sappy stuff...on tv, in books and in music. I'm not so sure if I could handle that in real life though.

Have we become so desensitized to real romance? It's like I only expect to see this level of romantic lines and action on characters in movies & shows & books? Or could it be that I just haven't met the right guy yet? One of my best friends says that the right one will say the right words to make you swoon. I'm beginning to believe that more and more. Until that day comes, I'll continue to enjoy "Brown Sugar" for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment