Thursday, December 08, 2011

Classic Music: Donell Jones "Where I Wanna Be"

From the moment I heard his voice, I was a fan. Donell Jones won me over with his rendition of the classic Stevie Wonder track "Knocks Me Off My Feet." His debut was ok but lacking chartable singles. Donell rectified that on his sophomore outing "Where I Wanna Be." It was released October 12, 1999. It was filled with ballads worthy of his amazing voice. This cd is classic to me in so many ways. I still love every track. I can put it on and let it play all the way through. He had great singles such as "Where I Wanna Be," "U Know What's Up," which featured the late Left Eye of TLC fame, "Shorty Got Her Eyes On Me," and "This Luv."

I cannot deny that the title track was a breakout hit. Everyone knew the words to this song. I remembering in clubs and dj's would play this and the club would lose it. The lyrics, in hindsight, were majorly messed up. dude basically told his girl that he wanted to mess around and that's why he had to go. But, that he still loved her. Crazy lyrics. My favorite track was an unreleased gem titled "I Wanna Luv U." This song is just, to me, the best thing Donell has ever sung. It's sweet and melodic and it just works. I always wished that it had been released as a single. I would have loved to see him perform this live. Twelve years later, it's still like the first time I heard it. It's still just really good R&B music. That makes it a classic. Here are some of my favorite tracks from WIWB. Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment