Saturday, February 22, 2014

When Will It Be Enough?



It has taken me almost a full week to get my thoughts together on the verdict of Jordan Davis killer's trial. To put it mildly, I am thoroughly pissed. How in the world could a jury convict him of ALMOST killing three Black boys and not convict him of ACTUALLY killing Davis?!? How is that even possible? If he is guilty of attempted murder of the three then he has to be guilty of killing the child he actually did. There is no other way around it. I am glad that he will spend the rest of his life in jail because that's where a murderer belongs. I am also glad that he will be retired for Davis' murder in May. Davis' parents, Lucia McBath and Ron Davis, deserve justice for their murder son. Being Black, listening to "loud" rap nor wearing a hoodie are not just causes for anyone to be shot and killed. 


I am sick of Black parents losing their kids because some grown man decided he was threatened. Beyond over seeing mothers like Lucy and Sybrina on national tv crying over their boys and fathers like Tracy and Ron heartbroken over the men their sons will never become. I am tired of grown men killing kids then claiming to be the victim. Because clearly the victim is the person at the end of the barrel who lost their lives, see Trayvon and Jordan. This is an epidemic perpetuated by the ridiculous "Stand Your Ground" Law. It doesn't take a lawyer or a judge to see that the law is seriously flawed. There is something sincerely wrong when the deaths of young Black men at the hands of older, bigger white men is accepted and excused. When will it be enough? How many tears must we cry? Something needs to change. I am happy that Davis' killer is going to jail, would be happier if Martin's killer was there as well. We need a change. We need a resolution. I will never forget their names or their stories. We cannot let their deaths be in vain. 



Renisha McBride was just looking for help after a car accident. Trayvon Martin was just trying to get back home to watch the end of the All Star Game. Jordan Davis was just listening to music outside of a gas station. Johnathan Ferrell was just thankful for surviving a car accident. Oscar Grant was just going home after celebrating New Year's Eve with his friends. Aiyanna Stanley-Jones was just sleeping on the sofa. Amadou Diallo was just reaching for his wallet. Sean Bell was just on his way home to get ready for his wedding. Enough is enough. I am sick of watching the news and seeing people that look like me, my family, and my friends dead. It breaks my heart. I cannot stand it. Something has to change. Someone has to do something. When will it be enough, America?



No comments:

Post a Comment